Monday, September 7, 2009

Is this normal?

It amazes me how fast a total change of life can become 'normal'. I realized as I was driving through the sand-roads of Benin in a Landrover filled with people, dodging zimijans (motorcycles by the trillion) and waving to people as they yelled out 'YOVO YOVO! (white-person)....that life in Africa has already become what seems, a 'normal' way of life. I know that my journey here began with me trying to figure out if I was moving to Africa for an adventure in my own will... or if this was actually the path God had chosen for me thus placing a desire in my heart to leave my comfort zone and go.

After now being here for six weeks and having never felt more 'in' God's will than before, I can say with all confidence that God has led me here and I couldn't be happier! I will definitely admit that it took me a while to adjust to the fact that I am in Africa, living on a ship floating in the ocean.....and I am likely still adjusting. What I find amazing is that being here actually feels normal. I think it has alot to do with that 'peace that passes all understanding'....but every now and again I like to have little reminders that God has led me on a road less travelled (as I wrote about before).

Tonight was a reminder. I finally had the chance to take part in a program on board called Adopt-a-Patient. This program allows crew members to choose a patient in the hospital and visit them, play with them, talk to them (through translation) and really, just love them. I was nervous about doing it and I'm not really sure why. Walking into the ward and seeing my smiling little 5-year old was one of my favourite moments so far. Jenga with my patient....soon turned into Disney Memory with 4 other children, a mother and a room full of laughter and cheers. I have never enjoyed 'Disney Memory' so much! I got to see joy tonight....I got to see evidence of lives transformed....I was reminded tonight, that life here does not have to become normal. And that a life with God, is the complete opposite and farthest possible thing from 'normal'. In fact, it is really the only way to have and live 'life to the fullest'.

No comments:

Post a Comment