Sunday, March 14, 2010

French

My family will attest to the fact that I have never been a fan of French. I guess I understand why it is taught in school as Canada is officially a 'bilingual' country. However, my childish eyes were never able to see the value in learning French, as I always imaginined myself remaining in Ontario, a predominantly English province.

My oldest brother has always been passionate for the language. I gave him alot of grief about the hours he would spend repeating French phrases from the computer in his room, adjoined to my room by a thin, non-soundproof wall. I now wish that I had listened harder.

I remember the general phrases to 'get by'.
Bonjour. Je m'appelle Danae. Comment t'appelle tu? Au revoir.
But by saying these, people get excited that you know French...and continue in French conversations. Problem.
"Je ne parle pas français" is not a fun response to the excitement.

I still find it quite humourous that God placed me in Benin and Togo, where the national language is French. I think God wanted to teach me a lesson about those who are stubborn. Or maybe a lesson about humility (Danae pre-Mercy Ships: "I can get by with English JUST fine!")

This said, I have a prayer request.
I have approached our Staff Development department and have joined the team of people learning French via Rosetta Stone- a wonderful computer program for those wanting to learn a new language! I've been quite consistent in my lessons and so far, have been learning quite a bit! In fact, I was very encouraged today when I went to church and could translate certain words in my head before the translator would say them aloud.

But I have a long way to go. I really desire to be able to know enough French to at least understand those I interact with here. I would LOVE to be able to have conversations with the Togolese children I am tutoring in a local village.

I never thought I would say this (and Calvin, if you are reading this, I apologize from deep in my heart for not listening to your wise advice about learning French)but I would LOVE to speak French!

1 comment:

  1. haha I was not aware of the learning of French between the non-soundproof walls!

    ReplyDelete