Saturday, March 6, 2010

Serve.

I will admit, my first few months on the ship in Benin were a huge time of adjustment: adjusting to ship life, meeting new people, and above all, wrapping my head around how to apply what I had spent the last 4 years learning in school and actually teach a classroom of children. On top of this task, the Academy is going through an accreditation process with ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) which requires more paperwork, meetings and well….just time.

Honestly, my expectations of working on the Africa Mercy were wonderful…but a little unrealistic. I imagined myself teaching during the day and then having the opportunity to go out and serve the people of West Africa in my free time. I wanted to get involved with every ministry and visit the hospital patients daily. I wanted to build relationships with the local people and really begin to understand a day in the life of someone from Benin (and now Togo). Like I said, wonderful expectations! After spending countless hours on weekends and evenings in my classroom, frustrated that I wasn’t getting the opportunity to SERVE as much as I had wanted to, God began to show me what it really means to serve. He really began to teach me what it means to be a part of the ‘Body of Christ’.

In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around. The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.
Romans 12:4-6, The Message



I realized that my first and foremost purpose in being on board the Africa Mercy, was to teach. I began to have a peace that by ‘being what I was made to be’ and doing what I was called to do, that I really WAS serving the poor of West Africa. God wasn’t expecting me to do my ‘job’ and THEN start serving after hours…but instead He was expecting me to serve Him by doing by best at what He called me to do.

The beautiful thing about this realization was that it somehow gave me greater purpose. And in feeling a deeper purpose, I began to have more passion and energy. God has begun to open up opportunities to actually use the additional passion and energy to get involved with the local people and join land-based ministries. He is showing me how to have balance to do both now.

With his strength. In His timing. With the passion He places in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. It is very good you have come to this conclusion...it is so hard for most to figure this out.

    I came to Mercy Ships a cook. One day someone asked me what I did, I told them. Then they asked what ministries or other stuff I did in my free time outside of work. I did laundry, caught up with emails, wrote my newsletters, bible study, devotions, relaxed...

    Their response to me "Oh, so you didn't do anything?" Implying I had wasted my time when I could have been filling all the slots for adopt a patient, ministries, or extra work helping other 'outreach' departments.

    At that time I was the Galley Manager/Chief Cook and worked 40 to 80 hours a week (I could have worked just 40, but this was my profession and I wanted everything 'top shape' for these volunteers to serve at their best!). Who could dare say I did nothing?! (of course there was also some self pride - but whose perfect? Right?) Or imply I was not contributing unless I was doing real "outreach ministry"...That hurt!

    Luckily God had brought me thru this mentality/hurdle and it just helped me be better at what I already did! And who I am in Christs eyes.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, like Tyrone says, great post Danae!
    In the past I also struggled with wondering if working in Reception was less significant than those serving on the so-called 'front-lines', like the nurses, doctors, etc.
    My conclusion: we're all striving for a common purpose and goal, to serve God and bring his mercy. And any department on the ship (or off-ship) is part of that mission.
    Like the passage you quote, we're all parts in the same body, and equally important at that.
    Again, lovely post Danae and look forward to seeing you again when I get back in a week and a half! :-)

    ReplyDelete