Sunday, July 19, 2009

Basic Safety Training

After 5 weeks of training here in Texas, I have finally reached the end of the course! My time here has gone so fast and I've met some incredible people that I will be serving on the ship with! 13 of these people left for an outreach in the Dominican Republic and will be coming to the ship within the next month.


This past week was Basic Safety Training. We were trained on how to fight fire on board, first aid/CPR as well as basic survival at sea (using life rafts, cold water immersion suits etc.). After taking this course, we were certified to be able to work on board any marine ship according to the US standards. Here are some pictures!!


Top: Haley, Terri and me using a fire hose

Bottom: Gearing up in our water immersion suits




Though I'm hoping to never have to use these skills, the training was very fun and I feel very prepared for helping with an emergency on board the ship!

I have been blessed with an amazing opportunity to have a stopover in Paris for a few days before going to Benin. I will be travelling with my friend Christina and we will be staying with a missionary family that she knows in Paris! We are so blessed to have our accomodations taken care of while staying there! We will be flying straight from Paris to Benin on July 27 to start orientation for the ship as well as with the school and will spend the next week preparing our classrooms and lessons :D!

Thank you so much for all of your prayer so far. I am so excited to put everything I've been learning this past month into action!!

No comments:

Post a Comment