Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Africa Mercy....Home Sweet Home!

After 4 months of planning, 5 weeks of training, 4.5 day stopover in Paris and a 7 hour flight from Paris to Benin....I have walked the gangway of the Africa Mercy and made it my home! I am still trying to adjust to walking straight on a moving surface! If you'd like to know how it feels to be on the ship, here is a fun experiment. Step 1 - Spin around 25 times. Step 2- Immediately try walking in a straight line down a narrow hallway.....Welcome to the Africa Mercy!! :D

In all honesty, it is absolutely surreal walking around on the ship I have only seen in pictures and on Youtube for the past few months. My bedroom really is as small as it seemed in the online tour! And....I am sharing a bunk bed with the only Danae I've ever met....and she is from Canada! What are the chances of THAT!?

We had a tour of the whole ship today and got to see the hospital waiting room and got to peek into some of the recovery rooms. I think this was the moment I realized where I was, why I am here and how excited I am that God brought me here. It hit home that this is more than an non-profit organization....this is a place of people who have come together to see the lame walk, the blind see, and those who have been cast out of society, healed. This is a place where the heart of God is being lived out by ordinary people in extraordinary ways.

2 comments:

  1. hey awesome to hear that things are off to a Great start !! ill be praying for you.!! iam working on dates for gateway and praying about the right postion.! we just have to keep our focus on the Lord and He works it All out !! :) have a great night and be safe !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danae,
    great to read your first post from the ship. I am exited to see you there in October. Hope you will get used to the movement onboard! Big hug for you and Christina

    Blessings
    Maaike

    ReplyDelete