Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Road You Walk

I have been broken.

Mentally – I have come to realize that my view of the world has been shaped completely by the fact that I have been born in Canada…where poverty exists, but usually goes unseen. My problems seem significant simply because my need for food, water and love have been met… which unfortunately gives me permission to worry about the insignificant.

Emotionally - The only thing that separates me from any other person in this world is the fact that “I” have been born into this body in this particular country into this particular family...Why me? Why wasn’t I the one who was born into a tribe where the value of human life is so small that human sacrifice is justified? Why wasn’t I the one who was sold into the sex trade so my family could afford to eat? Why am I not the one who picks through trash daily, in hopes that someone has thrown out a valuable item or extra food?

I am now facing the question “what will you do with the privilege you have been given?”

We were asked to write a reflection of what we have learned this week….here it goes.

The Road That You Walk

If I walked a mile in your shoes

I’d soon realize that our shoes are the same,

Though we walk a different road.

I would realize that the potholes and dust you face daily

Sometimes make it difficult for you to see your destination.

If I walked a mile in your shoes

I’d soon realize that the steps you take look small,

But in the face of your reality are really quite big.

I would realize that the size of your step is not as important

As the energy and willingness you put into each and every step.

If I walked a mile in your shoes

I’d soon realize that though your shoes are tattered and torn

They are valuable because of the mere fact, that they are shoes.

I would realize that they have the potential to carry you through an endless number of roadblocks that I may never face.

If I walked a mile in your shoes

I’d soon realize that though the soles and laces may look dirty, you aren’t asking for new shoes.

I would realize that giving you new shoes would not help.

Instead, I can walk beside you and hold your hand and be with you on the road that you

walk.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reflection you wrote. . . .very special. . . i hope you are richly blessed as you seek to serve and bless others l-a

    ReplyDelete