Monday, August 31, 2009

My African Birthday

We are now into our 4th week of school here in the Mercy Ships Academy! I can say for the first time ever that I celebrated a birthday while in school :). After years of celebrating a summer birthday with water balloons, pool fun, summer carnivals ...and 'back to school' just days away, my African birthday changed all that!

Now I'm not usually one who would blog about my own birthday...as it seems quite selfish...but my reason for writing is to show how absolutely thoughtful and selfLESS the community here is. Little to my knowledge, Christina had been planning all week to throw a surprise karaoke birthday party for myself and another lady on board!! Somehow, beautifully orchestrated, we walked into the midships lounge full of people singing Happy Birthday with food and some karaoke ready to go! It was such a memorable and super fun night!!!

The festivities continued on Sunday as a group of us got to take a trip to a village on stilts! This village is completely built on water and as far as I could understand, was a result of the slave trade that was prevalent in Benin. In an attempt to run from the slave trade, this village was built and now is the home to nearly 30,000 people.

This was an amazing experience....and definitely far beyond any way I could have ever imagined celebrating my 22nd....

No comments:

Post a Comment