Monday, June 29, 2009

Silence

We had a silent retreat yesterday....silence meaning we couldn't talk for about 4 hours. I've heard of silent retreats that last for a few days and I've learned, through these few hours, how much you can hear when you are simply silent. All of the sudden birds actually sing, and trees actually whisper and children actually laugh...its beautiful.

It's amazing how long it takes to become 'silent'. The thought of 'I need to be silent' even becomes a distracting noise. Pushing past that all though, it is in silence that God speaks. Sitting in a shady, grassy area in a gorgeous State Park in Texas, I read the words, "What a lovely, pleasant sight you are, my love, as we lie here on the grass, shaded by cedar trees and spreading firs" (Song of Solomon 1:16-17) It was in this moment that I remembered that my identity is found in God...the One who tells me I am lovely...that I am beautiful because He fashioned me. The one who whispers to me in the trees, and sings to me in the birds, and laughs with me through children. It was in this moment that I remembered to whom I belong.

2 comments:

  1. We did a few blocks of hours of silence on our leaders retreat in the winter and it truly is amazing how God speaks when you actually listen! Glad to hear things are going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love silent retreats. You are so right. God speaks so sweetly in those times. Danae, I am so excited about this new adventure for you. The ministry of Mercy Ships is so amazing. What an awesome adventure God has for you! I look forward to reading your blog, and hearing all that God does through and in you!

    Holly Haddock

    ReplyDelete